Monday, August 10, 2015

My Stash

Today I thought I would share a snapshot of my baby wearing stash...
 

  Some might find it odd that I am so sentimental about these pieces of fabric, but they have become so incredibly precious to me. When I glance at them, overflowing a basket in the corner of Levi's room, I am flooded with memories. Memoires of curled fists, sweet breaths and mushed lips on my chest. Memories of little bodies unfurling against my own. Memories of the emotions that I felt over the years that I carried them in my womb as well as on my chest. Memories of my hopes and expectations of motherhood.
 
 On the practical side of things, my carriers made it possible for me to clean, cook and even use the washroom while keeping my babies close and content. When shopping, they allowed me to have my hands free to push a cart, hold a toddlers hand, and even nurse discreetly. Do I dare even give them credit for helping me bond with my babies in the sleep deprived weeks and months following their birth? Surely, my arms would have seized up and fallen off from exhaustion otherwise.
 
Those lovely woven strands helped me get my babies to sleep when nothing else worked. In Norway they allowed me to traverse a steep mountain so that I could enjoy the most breathtaking view of a lifetime.  
 
 If I had to name my most valuable "baby survival item", my carriers would take the cake.  
 
 
Missing from this pile is a becco butterfly carrier (which was accidently left on a mountain in the interior) and a maya wrap in olive green, which I lent to someone and have not been able to get back.
 
 
 
 
 
I recently had this lovely ring sling made from a piece of fabric that I purchased in a market in Guatemala when Nathaniel and I were travelling. It is thick, cushy and glorious! I am so happy that I can finally use it, especially since my baby wearing days are numbered.
 

This is what the baby wearing world refers to as an "action shot".
 
 
Another recent addition to my stash has been this pretty little linen sling by Sakura Bloom.
 
 
This Mei Tei by Baby Hawk has been with me since Amelia was born and has saved my bacon on numerous occasions.  It is great for running errands AND long hikes. This is one of the few that Levi will still fall asleep in when we are away from home.
 

 
 And then there is my hand-woven girasol *Sigh* I don't think I will EVER be able to sell this. I love the color arrangement, the texture, the weight and the length. I often refer to it as my "coat of many colors" from the musical "Joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat."
 


 
 Levi is currently 11 months old and while is exploring the world at a breakneck speed and yet I can feel his whole body relax when I snug him into a carrier. I plan on baby wearing for as LONG as he allows me to.
 
 
This one is four and she still loves getting carried around from time to time. It is certainly easier than giving her a piggy back ride.

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish I lived close enough to get some tips on baby wearing! I have a Moby Wrap, which I love, but it can sometimes be a pain to put on And, I would love to figure out more than just a front carry.