Thursday, January 31, 2013

I've been......

In case you were wondering what I have been up to while I neglected to update this blog.......

I finally painted the little antique dresser that I bought at an estate sale last summer. I used a fantastic chalk paint by Annie Sloan paint in a color called "duck blue". After painting it, I sanded and distressed it a bit and then waxed it with dark and soft wax to give it that "antique" look. I haven't quite finished it yet, but I am getting close.

(Before)                                                  


(After)





I also painted this frame (with the same paint) and then rubbed some dark wax into the details. Believe it or not, I picked this solid wood frame up for 8.00$ at a thrift store just down the road. The frame was a greasy gold color and contained a ghastly painting. I replaced the painting with a sheet of cork board  I am SO excited about my "new"  inspiration board.

(Before)

(After)


Amelia and I filled our inspiration boards one afternoon while Claire napped.


They are so fun and colorful!


 A couple of weeks ago I scooped up some great fabric at a Fabric land sale. I had wanted to make a little curtain for the girl's dress up wardrobe as well as some curtains for their bedroom.



I used the pink sheer polka dot fabric for curtains.



And the remaining fabric for a ruffled curtain. It is far from perfect, but, it is girly and fun!


When I had initially purchased this dresser off craigslist, it was lined with green fabric and pink faded ribbon.
I stripped the fabric off, pulled out a zillion staples, scrapped off glue and then painted it yellow. Unfortunately, I choose  a shade of yellow that looked hideous in reality and made me nauseous when I looked at it. Three days ago I painted it white and added this adorable ruffled curtain. I'm hoping to use fabric remnants for some cute throw pillows and or few seat covers.


I still have three more items in need of some love and imagination. All of which were free or purchased for less than 10.00$

This book shelf  



This dresser



And this desk 


Oh and I turned the bland white walls under my cabinets into a chalkboard....

(Before)


(After)




I filled it with funny kitchen quotes. My favorite is: "No man has ever been shot doing the dishes". I am certain that is is true!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh how I adore your blog Jocelyn! I'm very inspired ;) by your inspiration board and am amazed at ur chalkboards!! How neat they are!
Thanks for keeping up your blog-i always look forward to having a peek at what you've been up to. Your girls are precious!
Jana:)

Unknown said...

Wow! You are so incredibly creative and confident in your creativity! I will definitely be calling you when I get to the point where I have a house to decorate!