Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Thoughts on house hunting.....

In about a week from now, we should receive our official transfer papers. Yeah!!!! About two months ago, we were told that we had unofficially received our transfer request to Nanaimo. We are, however, unable to make an offer on a home until we have our official notice. Once that valuable piece of paper is in our hands, we will be able to book our house hunting trip. I'm hoping that we will be able to go on the 2nd or 3rd week of April. Ultimately I would love to move by the end of May, but I have to be prepared to wait until July. It would be nice to get settled in before the summer starts so that we can enjoy the lakes, go camping and relax! If we are not able to move until say, July, then at least it will give us a bit of extra time to save some more money and spend what little time we have left with our friends here. Our moving date is largely dependent on our possession date, when the moving company can access our belongs and when they can physically move us from point A to point B. I.AM.SO.EXCITED.!!! I have started prowling mls.ca again, that our time is drawing neigh. Initially I was anxious about money, mortgages and how we were going to make ends meet on a single income in the city, but we have been brainstorming ways to make it work

At the moment we are focusing on finding a decent sized, newer home with a decent sized rental suite in the basement. Something like this property. Unfortunately, like most new homes, it is void of personality, cookie cutter, boring, and probably doesn't have a lot of privacy. The upside is the fact there will be zero work, a nice kitchen with loads of cupboard space a basement suite (which REALLY helps out with the mortgage). As most of you know, I love old houses, homes of acreage surrounded by trees and "projects". This, however, is not the season for such things. Even if we had the finances to buy a fixer upper, we don't have the time or energy to do so. Just staying on top of dishes and meals is an all consuming task, at the moment, not to mention the fact that we plan on having a third baby in the next couple of years. This is a stepping stone to our ultimate dream of one day buying a piece of waterfront property and building our own dream home. Here is an example of the type of house I would one day LOVE to own.
I love the gabled roof, the wide plank floors, the big windows, the kitchen with its white cupboards... everything!!!! Unfortunately, not only is it located on Gabriola island, but it is also out of our current price range. As much as I LOVE IT, I am not willing to over-extend our budget. I have to be practical, logical and thrifty. When we arrive in Nanaimo we have a week to buy a home. I'm hoping that we will be able to make a decision within the first two days so that there is enough time to complete the inspection and sign all the necessary paperwork. It is going to be a little hectic and stressful with two little people in tow, but I am determined to have a good time. I can't wait to see cherry blossoms, breath in the salty coastal air, ride on the ferry with my girls, take them for swims at the hotel pool, sneak out in the evenings after the girls are asleep and do a little "shopping", or rather "browsing"(I'm in saving mode at the moment), choose a home with my man, crunch numbers, eat at restaurants and have a quick visit with my family on the way home. I am so excited to live in Nanaimo again. It has been over 10 years since I lived on the island, and I can hardly wait to return. I am excited to connect with friends I have not seen since University, and some that I have not seen since childhood. Many of the people I grew up with in Tahsis, settled in either Nanaimo or Victoria, so there will be a lot of people to catch up with. More than anything though, I am thrilled that my family will only be a ferry ride away. *Big happy sigh* While we have thoroughly enjoyed our time in the Chilcotin and the unique experiences we have had, we are ready for this next chapter in our lives.

1 comment:

The Stiffs said...

Back to Nanaimo, hey? That's great! You know there's a part of me that preeeeeety jealous!! I need some ocean in my life....you can expect a visit. :)
Trusting that the right house will come up for you guys at the right time....can't wait to see where this leads!
Love you.