Friday, October 8, 2010

Can't stop cooking.......



I made the most delicious curried butternut squash soup tonight. THE BEST! I am utterly stuffed and I still want more. I have been looking for a good squash soup for awhile when my neighbour came over to bring me a fresh loaf of oatmeal molasses bread. (So yummy)! I gave her a couple of the spaghetti squash Nathaniel and I had grown in our garden and we discussed our mutual love for all varieties of squash. One of my favorites is called the Jarrahdale pumpkin or the Australian butter pumpkin.



I picked it up for the first time at the Laity Pumpkin patch because I thought it looked ghoulish and funky. It wasn't until an Australian friend of mine came over and noticed it on my deck, that I found out how delicious it is to eat. It is now, hands down, my favorite. What is your favorite squash? Why? And, how do you like to eat it? If you leave a comment I will enter you in my giveaway. The prize is a secret, but if you win I will send it to you in the post.

Love Jocelyn

4 comments:

VĂ¥ge Family Website said...

my favorite is spaghetti squash. did you know that in norway, the zucchini is called squash. i haven't figured out their word for what we call squash--mostly because i've never seen one here. odd, isn't it?

Mike and Loretta said...

Michael and I just love squash. All kinds. We often plant what we think is one kind and we are surprised to find something else. We love turbin squash, butternut and spaghetti. We steam it and mash it up with cream and sauteed red onions, lots of butter and love and we eat it, lots of it...Ahh so good. We are sharing our pumpkins with the local bears. I am not so happy but they are so hungry that I am not going to pick them. They already ate the corn, and grapes.
Anemone would make a pumkin soup, adding a swirl of sourcream and pomgranate seeds for garnish. It was delicious too...don't have a recipe only a sweet memory!

fionafae said...

Oooh a butter pumpkin?! I must go back to the pumpkin patch and find one!!! Care to share the recipe for that soup with me? That sounds like it would be *glorious* with molasses bread! I love fall; it is finally getting a little crispy down here and I can't wait to wear all my knitted goods! ;)

mambally said...

I just tried the Jarrahdale pumpkin for the first time yesterday at our Thanksgiving meal. We could not find pie pumpkins which is what my stuffed pumpkin recipe called for, so the produce manager at our local market showed my mother (who was helping in the quest for pie pumpkins) these gems. She had to make sure they were edible. She could not remember the name he told her, but said it sounded like Ghirardelli. Hmmm ... chocolate pumpkins ... sounds good to me. So we gave it a whirl. When I cut into it I noticed that they are fleshier than a basic pie pumpkin. I had to carve deeper into the fruit to get the top off. It also had fewer seeds, more like a butternut squash. We stuffed it with cubed, herb bread, chives, garlic, gruyere cheese cubes and heavy cream. It was amazing and made a fabulous presentation. I would say the texture is similar to an acorn squash, but again, fleshier. I am a fan. A search for pumpkin varieties turned up your blog and the real name of the chocolate pumpkin. Thanks for helping us identify it. I still think my favorite is butternut because of the versatility, but this one will definitely make it into the rotation.