Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Friends



I have been thinking a lot about friendship this past week.... what it means, how it is born, and whom I truly consider a friend. Being a scrapbooker I decided to create an album that celebrates those people that I cherish. I wanted to document:

1) How I met them
2) What I love about them
3) Why I wanted to be their friend
4) Best memory with them
5) Favorite things to do together
6) Duration of friendship.

It has proving to be a wonderful project and I can't help but recall lots of great memories with these individuals. I must admit, that while I am friendly and outgoing, I tend to only open up to those that I trust my heart with. I often find that I am the "listener" in so many of my relationships. I tend to classify those relationships as an "acquaintance", rather than a friend. While I love to listen and help draw people out, it often means that I am not heard. Real friendship is an equal sharing of hearts and time and is not one sided. I have also realized that it is better to have one or two close girlfriends than a slew of people that you can't possibly stay in touch with. Ahhh exhausting.

Okay normally I hate cheesy quotes but here a few really good ones about friendship....

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, What! You too? I thought I was the only one." -C.S. Lewis

"One measure of friendship consists not in the number of things friends can discuss,
but in the number of things they need no longer mention." -Clifton Fadiman

"True friendship comes when the silence between two people is comfortable."
-David Tyson Gentry

Check out this stunning picture of my dear friend Sarah. Sadly, I had to miss her wedding, but I thought I would share this incredible photo of her on her wedding day. She made the lovely flower hairpiece and has a etsy site here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/konigin.



For those of you that are reading this post I would love to know what your description of a good friend is. What is important to you in a relationship?

1 comment:

VĂ¥ge Family Website said...

1) We met through our mothers, technically, but became friends at my grandpa's wedding when we were 12.
2) I love about you: your silliness, creativity, voice, tidiness, boony ways, heart for others, gift of question, curiosity, passion for justice, hunger for knowledge and truth.
3) I wanted to be your friend because being friends with you came naturally, it was effortless to be with you and get to know you.
4) All my time with you goes down as, "the best".
5) Favorite thing to do with you is eat what we've baked, do sneaky and silly things, talk about boys, put our girls together for photo ops.
6) Duration of friendship: a lifetime.