Monday, January 26, 2009

My Birth Plan ....



I realize that a birth plan is an idealized best case scenario, and not necessarily very realistic, but I always think that it is hope for the best and prepare for the worst. In any case I am incredibly excited about birthing my baby girl and I will be happy to have a healthy baby at the end of it all regardless of what happens. However, I would like to give birth to my baby in the comfort of my home surrounded by my family. I have a midwife and I am planning on having a water birth, which I have been told is the most gentle way to give birth and provides a decent about of pain relief for labouring women. I have no desire for pain medication - I want to be alert and aware of everything that my body experiences, even if it is excruciating pain. I know that may sound sadistic to some, but I think birthing is a profound experience, comparable to nothing else. I doubt that I have or will ever experience the thresh hold of pain that labouring brings, but I know that it is an end to a very positive means. It will be different than say, having a bullet extracted without anaesthetic. I feel very confident that my body is capable of giving birth and that there is nothing wrong with having my baby at home, as women have done for centuries. My husband is supportive of my decision, while my mother is rather horrified. Nevertheless, it is my decision, and I have have spent a considerable amount of time thinking it through.

No comments: